Låt oss veta vad du tycker

Taking back a previous surname

You can take back a previous surname, if you can prove in your application that it used to be your surname. Certain restrictions apply if the applicant got the previous surname with the consent of a husband or wife, or ex-husband or ex-wife.


Eva Svensson used to be married to Sven Lind and was then called Eva Lind. After their divorce, Eva took back her maiden name, Svensson. However, Eva has two children with Sven and the children's surname is Lind. Now Eva wants to have the same surname as her children, so she applies to PRV to take back her ex-husband's surname.

Skip Navigation Links.

Thinking of getting married?

Make sure you apply in time for a newly formed surname.
Creating a new surname
Processing time

Any questions?

PRV can answer your questions about patents, trademarks, designs, periodicals and personal names.

Contact customer support
+46 8 782 28 00
Contact us

Did the information on this page help you?

Thank you for your answer!

You will not get a response from us through this form. Please tell us what information you are missing on the page and you will help us to improve prv.se The text field below should not be empty. Do you have a question you want answered? "Contact us"

Swedish Patent and Registration Office | prv@prv.se | Phone: +46 8 782 28 00