Låt oss veta vad du tycker

Official designations

Official designations is an umbrella term for national coats of arms, national flags, the emblems and symbols of international intergovernmental organizations, other state emblems, national control or guarantee designations, and so on. It also covers other designations which refer to the Swedish state and as such give the sign an official character, for example, the prefixes STATS- or RIKS- (meaning “state” or “national”). PRV is the authority which grants permission to use Swedish official designations. The examination to grant permission can take place either in connection with a trademark application or completely independently. The National Archives acts as a referral body and issues statements in heraldic coat of arms cases, mainly through the State Board of Heraldry.

Applications for permission must be submitted in writing to:
The Swedish Patent and Registration Office (PRV)
Box 530
826 27 Söderhamn

There is no special form which you should use, but the application must contain the following:

  • Your (the applicant’s) name or company and address.
  • Clear information regarding the design or sign which the application relates to.
  • Information regarding the goods or services which the design or sign will be used for.
  • If you are going to use the national coat of arms in your business operation, the reasons you refer to must be included in the application.
  • A clear reproduction of the design or sign (at least three copies).

An application for permission to use a Swedish official designation is subject to a fee, which must be paid on application. The current fee is stated in PRV's list of fees. If PRV requests a statement from the National Archives, an additional fee will be administered by the National Archives. Their current fee, as well as other information about the state's official coat of arms and heraldry, can be found on the National Archives' website.

If it concerns a provincial, county, or comparable coat of arms or a sign which can easily be confused with such, it is the appropriate county administrative board which grants permission.

If it concerns a municipal coat of arms or a sign which can easily be confused with such, it is the municipality concerned which grants permission.

More information

The National Archives' website

Skip Navigation Links.

Swedish Trademark Database

Provides information about trademarks that are protected in Sweden.
Swedish Trademark Database

Apply and pay electronically

You can apply for trademark protection by using our electronic application. You file and pay online.
Online trademark application

What is a trademark?

Here you can find examples of what can be registered.
Examples of trademarks

Consultancy services

We help you to explore your options.
PRV InterPat

Any questions?

PRV can answer your questions about patents, trademarks, designs, periodicals and personal names.

Contact customer support
+46 8 782 28 00
Contact us

Did the information on this page help you?

Thank you for your answer!

You will not get a response from us through this form. Please tell us what information you are missing on the page and you will help us to improve prv.se The text field below should not be empty. Do you have a question you want answered? "Contact us"

Swedish Patent and Registration Office | prv@prv.se | Phone: +46 8 782 28 00