Choose the right goods and services for your trademark
In order for you to get a correct trademark protection, it is important that you choose the right goods and services for your trademark.
When you apply for a trademark, you must state what kind of goods and services it will concern. All goods and services are divided into a system broken down into 45 different classes. Classes 1-34 are for goods and classes 35-45 are for services.
Keep in mind
- You should only choose goods and services that you use the trademark for today, or that you plan to use it for in the near future.
- You pay an extra fee for each class you add to your application.
- It is not possible to add goods or a service after you have sent in the application.
- In the protection of self-made goods, sales and marketing of them are always included.
What goods and services should I choose?
Example: If you are to have your trademark on a product you made, such as coffee, and operate a café of the same name, you can choose the following classes:
Class 30: Coffee
Class 43: Cafeteria services
Sales of beverages
If you are to start a store where you sell vegan food, and produce kombucha that you sell in the store, you can choose the following classes:
Class 30: Kombucha
Class 35: Resale of food
Sales of jewellery
If you have a jeweller’s that sells others’ products and make your own
jewellery and sell it in the store, you can choose the following classes:
Class 14: Jewellery
Class 35: Resale of jewellery
Sale of food
If you have a food store and sell others’ goods in the store, but also have your own finished salads and filled sandwiches for sale, and have home delivery, you can choose the following classes:
Class 29: Sandwiches
Class 30: Filled sandwiches
Class 35: Resale of food
Class 39: Delivery services
Beauty salon with cosmetics
If you have a beauty salon and make your own cosmetics, you can choose the following classes:
Class 3: Preparations for personal hygiene and beauty care
Class 44: Beauty salons
Joiner’s workshop with manufactured furniture and design services
If you have a joiner’s workshop and make your own furniture, and also provide furniture renovation and repair, and help with design services to others regarding furniture, you can choose the following classes:
Class 20: Furniture
Class 37: Renovation/repair of furniture
Class 42: Furniture design
Examples of apps
If you are to protect an app, you should think about them not being classified based on the content or focus in the app.
- If you provide the services that the app contains, for example that you perform various garden services, you can choose:
Class 44: Garden care, cultivation advice regarding horticulture; advice on garden care.
- If you developed the app yourself and want the protection to only pertain to it, the following classification may be relevant instead:
Class 9: Application software (apps); mobile apps.
- Class 42: Design and development of software; creation of software; support and maintenance of software; technical support services for computer software and applications; update of software; installation of software; programming of computer software.
TMclass helps you to find your way
The tool helps you find the classes where your goods and services belong. If you need help in understanding how TMclass works, you can watch the instruction film.
Link to the instruction film for TMclass (external website)
To TMclass (external website)
Overall list of goods and services
As help for you in classifying your goods and services, here is a list of general examples of what is included in each class, the so-called class headings.
Download PDF: Detailed examples of goods and services (pdf 147 kB)
If a product or service is not in the class list
Specification of certain designations in the classes
PRV requires specifications for certain designations in the existing classes in the manner done by all Member States that cooperate with the European Union Intellectual Property Office, EUIPO.
Get help from our customer support
If you are not entirely certain of what goods and services and classes you should state, our customer support is available to answer your questions.