The changes mark the end of a revision that started at EU level almost ten years ago. Among the most important changes is that PRV will be able to register trademarks that can be attached as sound files, motion pictures or multimedia files. Another news is regarding to oppositions, namely that owners of a newly registered trademark can, in some cases, demand that an opponent prove that the opposing trademark has been in use.
The date from which a trademark registration is valid has changed and there are also some changes made to the renewal period.
The criteria for what is considered a trademark application is tightened. From Januari 1st, the applicant needs to include this information to get an application date:
- stated intent to register the trademark
- who is the applicant
- a clear representation of the trademark
- a list of goods and services to which the trademark refers.
This means that for example, an application with only a class number and no stated goods or services, will not be considered a complete trademark application and will not get an application date.
Below are any administrative or technical consequences in conjunction to these changes:
- PRV will close all trademark e-services for necessary updates due to the new legislation. They close at 6 p.m. December 28th and will open at 10 a.m. January 2nd.
- January 2nd, PRV will launch a new e-service for trademark renewal. As with all our e-services for trademarks and designs, this is developed in collaboration with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
- Some changes will be made to the trademark renewal process:
Registrations based on applications submitted before or on 2018-12-31 will be valid from the date of application and for 10 years from the registration date.
Registrations based on applications submitted after or on 2019-01-01 will be valid for 10 years from the application date.
All trademark registrations that are due for renewal after 2019-01-01 can be renewed at the earliest 6 months before and at the latest 6 months after the expiration date.
The registration period will still be 10 years.
- Use our service online to register trademarks that can be attached as sound files, motion pictures or multimedia files.
- Please note that PRV will not be able to approve any requests for prioritised examination during January 1st until January 15th.
Update your e-mail address
Remember to update your e-mail address. PRV will inform you by e-mail when your trademark registration renewal is due, so your e-mail address needs to be correct in our registry.