Think big, start small
Once you have a Swedish patent application behind you, it is easier to decide whether it is worth applying for a patent in other countries. A Swedish patent application only relates to Sweden and is filed with PRV. A Swedish patent application is suitable if you only need to protect your invention in Sweden, but it is also a good starting point for further patenting in other countries.
If you filed a Swedish patent application you have until 12 months, the "priority year", to make a decision on where and in which countries you want to file an application.
- The filing fee is low, internationally.
- You get an early report on the patentability of the invention.
- The early report gives you the time and opportunity to consider an international application (PCT).
- PRV is an easy authority to contact and access.
- You can file and do the prosecution in English – only a translation of the final claims into Swedish is needed.
- Your Swedish patent application can be supplemented with a request for an International Type Search (ITS).
Plus annual fees
In most cases, we serve the first technical notice within around 7 months.