Creating a new surname

If you want to be the only one with your surname, you can create a completely new one that no one else has. You can use your imagination or get help from our online surname suggestions service. It should make your choice of a new surname easier. When you create a new surname it is called a newly formed surname.
Newly formed surname – form N1

Changing to an existing surname

Here you can read about what changes can be made regarding existing surnames. Names which are already in the population register are called existing surnames.

  • Changing the spelling of your surname, if the pronunciation of the name does not change.
  • Changing to an old family name, such as your grandmother's grandmother's maiden name.
  • Creating a surname from your father's or mother's first name and the suffix -son or -dotter.
  • Taking a newly formed surname from within the family, such as a newly formed surname that a sibling has changed to.
  • Taking back a previous surname, such as your maiden name before marriage.
  • Surnames on adoption if you are over 18 years old. If you wish, you can sometimes take back a surname you had before you were adopted.
  • Applying to take a customary name, such as a name you have used as an artist or athlete.
  • Changing to your foster parents' surname if you are over 18 years old. Assuming that you have been in the foster home for a long time and have a strong connection to your foster parents.

Existing surname – form N2