Design protection in individual countries

If you want to protect your design in individual countries, you need to file a separate application in each country.

Priority and the priority document

If you want to apply for design protection in other countries, you can do so by claiming priority from your Swedish application. This means that you must first submit an application to PRV. Within six months of filing your Swedish application, you must then file the foreign application to the country or countries where you want protection. In the applications, you must state the Swedish application as the basis of priority (number, filing date, country). The foreign applications are then considered as having been filed at the same time as the Swedish application. That can be important if someone else files an application for a similar design at around the same time as you. In order to claim priority, you need a priority document which you can order from us for a fee. The priority document should be submitted with the foreign applications.