Checklist for the application
Four important points to remember:
- Keep the invention secret, at least until you have filed the application.
- Investigate whether your invention is new before you apply for a patent.
- Make sure your application is as clear and complete as possible.
- Apply within 12 months, the “priority year” if you want to patent your invention in other countries.
Do a quick check of your application
- Are you the sole inventor or are there others?
- Have you found out what similar technology exists, and incorporated it as prior art in the general part of the description?
- Make sure all the technical features which are characteristic of your invention are included in the description.
- Check that all the necessary information is included in the patent claims and that they correspond to what is written in the description.
- Have you decided if you want the patent granted in Swedish or English?
- Complete the application and sign it.
- File the application and pay the filing fee.