You can apply for recordals regarding your registration at any time during the registration period.
Generally, PRV does not approve applications that are sent in by e-mail or fax. You must submit a written application and it must be signed by you, the authorized signatory of the company or your representative. The requirements depend on what kind of application you submit.
It is possible to make subtle changes to an already registered trademark if they are so insignificant that they do not affect the over-all impression of the trademark.
If you want to make changes to your trademark you must submit an application and include a representation of the trademark in its new design. There is a fee for this application.
If you are the owner of a trademark registration and you want to record a change of address you can send in a written request signed by you or your representative.
We generally accept change of address by regular mail, e-mail or fax. If PRV for some reason questions whether the request is from the actual owner or representative we will ask for an original signature.
You can use our online application or a paper form, see below. Use the paper form "Ansökan om anteckning avseende registrerat varumärke och/eller förnyelse avseende registrerat varumärke."
When you apply for recordal of a new representative you must include a power of attorney with an original signature.
The power of attorney authorizes the representative to represent the owner. It must be signed by the owner (the authorized signatory if the owner is a company) and include the printed name.
If the representative has registered a general power of attorney with PRV you can refer to that in the application and include the number of the general power of attorney.
An application to remove the representative can be submitted by the owner, the representative or someone else that is authorized to represent the owner.
When changing representative details or adding a new representative you must use two forms, "Ombudsfullmakt för varumärke – Power of attorney" and "Ansökan om anteckning/förnyelse avseende registrerat varumärke".
A trademark registration that covers multiple goods and services can be divided into two or more registrations, with the goods and services divided between them.
The original registration will be withdrawn from the trademark registry once the division is final.
The divided registrations will receive the same application date and priority as the original registration.
The divided registrations will receive registration numbers starting with 280xxx.
PRV will send you new registration certificates free of charge.
You can limit the scope of your trademark registration by removing a whole class or some of the goods and services.
You can only make limitations within the scope of the goods and services the registration covered when it was registered or when it was last limited.
You cannot expand the scope of the registration by adding new goods and services.
When you apply for limitation of goods and services you should include the limited list of goods and services.
The application must be signed in original by the owner or the representative.
If your application for re-classification is due to a new edition of the Nice Classification you must include a new list of goods and services.
The list of goods and services should show the scope of the registration after the re-classification.
When applying for change of the owner’s name or company name you must include a certificate of name change or a document showing the change in the company registry.
- If the owner is a private person that has changed name: include an official certificate of the name change showing the name before and after the change.
- If the owner is a legal person: include an official certificate showing the company name before and after the change.
- If the legal person is a Swedish company registered with the Swedish Companies Registration Office you can state the name before and after the change in your application. Remember to also state your corporate identity number.
(For recordals, use the form "Anteckning/förnyelse".)
You can transfer ownership of a registration partially if the registration covers multiple goods and services.
Application and agreement
If you want to transfer your trademark registration partially you must include a transfer agreement with your application showing how the goods and services should be divided.
If the agreement with the list of goods and services is not written in Swedish you must include an authorized Swedish translation.
There is a fee for partial transfer of ownership for each divided registration.
New registration number
The original registration will be withdrawn from the trademark registry due to the division.
The divided registrations will receive registration numbers starting with 280xxx and receive the same application date and priority date as the original registration.
PRV will send you new registration certificates free of charge.
The owner of the trademark or their representative can apply to surrender a trademark application.
The application must have the owner’s or the representative’s original signature.
If the representative submits the application an original power of attorney must be included.
If the applicant of an application of surrender is not the owner of the registration according to the Swedish Trademark Registry, a certified document showing the right to the trademark registration must be included.
You can apply for correction to information in the trademark registry. Just let us know what you want to change.
Corrections such as:
Change of owner’s or representative’s name that has been recorded incorrectly.
Correction to a list of goods and services due to changes in the Nice Classification.
There are several things to keep in mind when applying for recordals in trademark registrations. Here is a list of things to think of.
- When you apply for recordal in more than one trademark registration you must submit separate applications with the required documents for each registration. You only need to include one original required document and include copied in the rest of the applications. In such case, refer to the application with the original document. That way, it facilitates the examination and we can record your changes faster.
- Make sure all documents are complete before you submit the application. For example, if you want to record a new owner of a registration, make sure that the date of the transfer is included, any stipulations are met and that the document itself is certified and translated (when applicable).
- Anyone signing the documents must be authorized to do so. If you are not the authorized signatory for your company you must include documents that show that you are authorized to sign.
- If a trustee or a liquidator signs a transfer agreement an appointment of trustee or liquidator must be included.
- Remember to let us know of any changes in your address. Refer to your application or registration number when doing so.
- The fee you pay is for the examination of the application. You will not be refunded if we refuse your application.